AUGUSTA, Ga. – The 2016-17 Augusta University Student-Athlete Advisory Committee has been set for the new year, SAAC Adviser and Assistant Athletic Director Melissa Brocato announced.
The Augusta Jags' SAAC gives all student-athletes a voice at the university through the influences of the coach-nominated student-athletes.
SAAC allows student-athletes to express their opinions and any reservations they may have about NCAA rules, regulations and policies including practice hours, travel distance and scheduling conflicts with academics.
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee membership is composed of two members from each intercollegiate team and cheerleading squad, with one representative from the sports medicine staff.
These members serve as a conduit of communication among student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators on issues to improve the student-athlete experience and promote growth and education through sports participation. Concerns can be voiced and solutions offered regarding any issue that may be relevant to student-athletes.
Functions of the SAAC:
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes
- Disseminate information
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the athletics department formulation of policies
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletics teams
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA legislation
- Organize community service efforts
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus
The SAAC members meet monthly under the direction of an elected president and a senior member of the athletic management team.
2016-17 Executive Council
President: Justin Harrison, Track
Vice President: Erin Rozier, Softball
Secretary/Treasurer: Kendyl Conner, Softball
Baseball: Matthew Kuhlenberg, Jim Wagner
Men's Basketball: Aaron Byrd, Ben Ursich
Women's Basketball: Keena Evans, Tyren Ward
Men's Cross Country: Nick Del Guercio, Josh Thomson
Women's Cross Country: Amber Palermo, Morgan Ryffe
Men's Golf: Broc Everett, John Yi
Women's Golf: Maggie Ashmore, Cecilia Diez-Moliner
Softball: Kendyl Conner, Erin Rozier
Tennis: Joao Frietas
Men's Track & Field: Albert Acheampong, Justin Harrison
Women's Track & Field: Kiana Kelly, Lara Way
Volleyball: Savannah Gonzales, Blair Bolton
Cheerleading: Ariel Charles
Fans of Jaguar Athletics can subscribe to the email listserve by clicking here. Fans can follow Augusta University at www.AugustaJags.com and receive short updates on Facebook at Augusta University Athletics and on Twitter at @AugustaJags
-- 30 --