AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Augusta University men's basketball team hosted the second ever Jaguars United Night on Wednesday, Jan. 16 during the game against UNC Pembroke in Christenberry Fieldhouse. The game was the culminating event for a semester-long competition between the colleges and schools at Augusta University to show the most school spirit.
>>> View photos of the event by clicking here
"I was inspired when Dr. Keel mentioned one of the missions of the university was to think beyond boundaries and what better way to do this with the collaboration of the colleges/schools in our Jaguars United Night," head coach Dip Metress said. "We hope to grow with this event each year."
Started in 2018, Jaguars United Night sees the AU colleges/schools competing in six events to earn points: decorating an office, creating a themed banner, an on-campus limbo contest, a sidekick competition, basketball musical chairs, and attendance at the game.
The winning college in year two of the initiative was defending champion, Pamplin College.
See the winners of the different events below!
2019 JAGUARS UNITED NIGHT
A 6-Event Friendly Competition Between The AU Colleges/Schools
1. Each college/school decorated a selected portion of its college/school. Judging was based on the use of the Augusta University logo and originality.
WINNER: College of Education
2. Each college/school decorated a twin bed sheet banner that was provided by athletics. The banner focused on the individual college and Dr. Keel's favorite saying of "Go Jags!" It was judged on creativity and use of the school colors (navy and silver).
WINNER: College or Nursing
3. The college designated a professor/instructor/faculty member to participate in a limbo contest at 12:00 p.m. in the JSAC on Summerville Campus Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
4. Each college/school identified a sidekick for Augustus during the game on January 16, 2019. Prior to tipoff the "sidekicks" were introduced by Jason Scherer, the public address announcer. The judging criteria was based on the enthusiasm of the sidekick during the game and creativity of costume!
5. Each college/school selected a spirit ambassador to compete in a game of "basketball musical chairs" at halftime of the men's game on January 16, 2019.
6. Each college/school promoted Jaguars United Night by having the most attendees at the game on January 16, 2019. The winner was based on crowd response!
About Augusta Men's Basketball
The Augusta University men's basketball team is led by head coach Dip Metress. On May 10, 2004, Metress was introduced as the fifth head coach in program history. He previously led the Belmont Abbey Crusaders (1996-04) and was an assistant for the Jaguars under Clint Bryant (1989-95). He has never had a losing season in his 14 seasons at the helm of the Jaguars. A two-time Peach Belt Conference Coach of the Year, Metress and the Jags hosted five straight NCAA Regional Tournaments from 2007-11 and advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight three seasons in a row. He was named the South Atlantic Coach of the Year in 2007, the Southeast Region Coach of the Year in 2009, and the NABC Southeast District Coach of the Year in 2011.
Augusta men's hoops has retired four numbers in its 52-year history: Ben Madgen (1), Keshun Sherrill (10), Tyrekus 'AJ' Bowman (23), and Keenan Mann (32). The Jaguars have reached the NCAA tournament 11 times and won their region three times.
Fans of Jaguar Athletics can subscribe to the email listserve by clicking here. Fans can follow Augusta University at www.augustajags.com and receive short updates on Facebook at Augusta University Athletics / on Twitter at @AugustaJags and on Instagram @augustajags