AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Augusta University men's tennis team hosted its first Peach Belt Conference match of the season on Friday and dropped a close 4-3 contest to the Lander Bearcats at Newman Tennis Center.
AU is now 7-7 overall and 1-5 in the league. The match moved Lander to 10-2 on the season and 3-0 in the league.
AU senior Joao Ferreira took the No. 3 singles win with a score of 6-4, 4-6, 10-3. Lander won the first two singles matches and the fifth slot. Lucas Bolle won a pair of 6-2 matches and Martin Hurtado came back to win at No. 6 single after dropping the opening match. The Bearcats swept the doubles matches to survive for the one-point win.
Augusta hosts Francis Marion on Saturday, March 23 for a 12:00 p.m. PBC match at Newman Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Lander vs Augusta
Mar 22, 2019 at Augusta, Ga
(Newman Tennis Center)
#8 Lander 4, #39 Augusta 3
1. Axel Cronje (LU) def. Patrick Oliveira (AUGMT19) 4-6, 5-5, retired
2. Ozan Cildir (LU) def. Ricard Rubio (AUGMT19) 7-5, 6-2
3. Joao Ferreira (AUGMT19) def. Gabriel Couto (LU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
4. Eirik Groner (LU) def. Gaspard Mathieu (AUGMT19) 6-4, 7-5
5. Lucas Bolle (AUGMT19) def. Tommaso Rossin (LU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Martin Hurtado (AUGMT19) def. Thomas De Negri (LU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
Lander 11-2, 3-0 PBC; National ranking #8; Regional ranking #2
Augusta 7-7, 1-5 PBC; National ranking #39
Order of Finish | Dbls: 1, 3, 2 Singles: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6
Fans of Jaguar Athletics can subscribe to the email listserve by clicking here. Fans can follow Augusta University at www.AugustaJags.com and receive short updates on Facebook at Augusta University Athletics and on Twitter at @AugustaJags