SAVANNAH, Ga. – No. 43 Georgia College won a 5-3 match over the No. 33 ranked Augusta State Jaguars Sunday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA Southeast Regionals at Bacon Park.
The Jaguars (16-9) end the year with the most wins since the 2008 campaign went they went 17-8 overall and 5-5 in the Peach Belt Conference.
The No. 4-seeded Bobcats (16-11) won three of the first four singles matches. No. 5-seeded ASU's Lissa Murakami put the Jags on the board when she beat Sarah Murrray 6-1, 6-1 in the fifth singles match and Maria Nadal took a win by forfeit in the sixth singles match.
ASU No. 1-doubles duo of Victoria Lindqvist and Liv Pettersson fell to Kayla Barksdale and Katie Krupp 8-2. Another win sealed the Jaguars fate, as May Johnson and Ivana Marevic took care of Julie Fontaine and Roberta Oliveira 8-2. Lissa Murakami and Cecilia Pimentel won the only doubles contest for the Jags, but not in time as the Bobcats prevailed 5-3.
NCAA Southeast Regionals
Southeast Regional #1 – Round 1
#43 Georgia College 5, #33 Augusta State 3
1. Ivana Marevic (GC) vs. Victoria Lindqvist (ASU) 1-6, 6-0, 1-2, unfinished
2. May Johnson (GC) def. Liv Pettersson (ASU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Kayla Barksdale (GC) def. Roberta Oliveira (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Michelle Lingner (GC) def. Maria C. Pimentel (ASU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lissa Murakami (ASU) def. Sarah Murray (GC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Maria Nadal (ASU) def. No player (GC), by forfeit
1. Kayla Barksdale/Katie Krupp (GC) def. Victoria Lindqvist/Liv Pettersson (ASU) 8-2
2. May Johnson/Ivana Marevic (GC) def. Julie Fontaine/Roberta Oliveira (ASU) 8-2
3. Lissa Murakami/Maria C. Pimentel (ASU) def. Michelle Lingner/Sarah Murray (GC) 8-1